A Brief History
During the pre-Spanish period, a group of migrants established a settlement in a place along the river. The place was known as CABIZON after the buri fabric, that was the prime commodity of the area. The settlement was heavily infested with mosquitoes; and nets made from the buri fabric were a necessary household fixture.
When the Spanish friars established themselves in the area, Cabizon was renamed “IPIL” in reference to the giant ipil trees abundant along the riverbanks. Ipil together with Ubay and the interior parts of Talibon, had cattle ranches. Ipil was a convenient stopover for the cattle trade and was established as a sub-commercial center.
Ipil was flourishing until the early American colonial period circa 1900, when Ipil disintegrated and was subdivided between the Municipalities of Talibon and Ubay. At that time, the town’s Chief Executive, Lucas Hinlayagan, ceded all barangays west of Ipil River to Talibon and those on the eastern part to Ubay.
The “Ipilanos” desired to regain its autonomy, through the able guidance of the late Juan Gonzales. The Ipilanos’ desire was realized on AUGUST 14, 1947 when the Municipal Charter (EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 80) was signed by the late PRESIDENT MANUEL A. ROXAS, establishing the once known “Ipil” and surrounding barangays to comprise the MUNICIPALITY OF TRINIDAD. It was then on SEPTEMBER 01, 1947 that the Municipality of Trinidad was established.
TRINIDAD was named on the bases of the following:
After the wife of the late President Manuel A. Roxas; In honor of the Patron of Talibon-The Most Holy Trinity; and being located at the junction of 3 major routes to Tagbilaran, the capital city of the province – the interior, northeastern and northwestern routes.
A Brief History